Sunday 21 April 2013

Guilty Baking Secret

When I first made the Crunchy Pawprint Biscuits (see two posts previously), I unintentionally allowed the butter to melt in the microwave rather than just soften. Carried on with the recipe and all was well.

Same mistake when making the second, larger batch of Cranberry and Currant Scones (previous post). In this and similar recipes, method says to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. I find 'rubbing in' unrewarding, and since the butter had already melted ... The flour/butter mixture was slightly damp so I added a little more flour and carried on with the method. The baked scones were excellent, so I think my rubbing-in days might be over.

I can only hope that no professional chefs read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment